Sunday, February 12, 2012
" By Small and Simple Things are Great Things Brought to Pass." -Alma 37:6
While I was in India, I was fortunate enough to visit two leprosy colonies. Yes, they do exist still in other countries. This was by far the hardest yet most rewarding part of the trip. It was at this time that I began to feel completely overwhelmed. I began to reflect on my trips to Mexico and the things I have seen so far in India and I could not help but feel frustrated that I was so limited to what I could do to help. I mean there are so many horrible circumstances that people are in and I am just one person. How could I help and make a difference at all? I walked by a woman at this colony and she reached out and grabbed my hand. We sat there for a minute as we held hands and we cried together. There were no words because she did not know a lick of English. She had a smile and tears were rolling down her face. At first I couldn't comprehend what she was smiling about and then it hit me. Have you ever heard the song that says all you need is love? Well, I found much truth in that statement at this time. It is true that I can not cure leprosy in India by myself and at this point in my life, but none of that mattered. At that moment what this woman cared about was that someone was there who was showing her care and love. We brought food and medical supplies to these people who live their whole lives in these dark cement closets because they were shunned from their families. All that we did was say hi and provide a few of these necessities of life and yet they were so grateful. Alma knew what he was talking about when he said, "By small and simple things are great things brought to pass." Maybe love was all this woman needed at that moment in her life and it made to her the world of difference. This was a moment I will never forget.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment