Friday, July 20, 2012

The mind, body, and the spirit = oneness

 Here it is ladies! The best Living Social deal I have tried yet. What is that you ask... it is called Anti-gravity yoga. Who would have thought hanging upside down allowing much blood to rush straight to your head could be so much fun! I had my introductory class today, this is where we learned how to grasp the hammock with our hands and also how to rest our body weight so we won't crash to the floor. Do not worry it was a success, there were no concussions for me during my first day.

This yoga is like a mix between everyday yoga, dance, and gymnastics. This is a fairly new trend of yoga and is supposed to have many benefits for the body alignment and muscle strengthening.
The idea of doing yoga has appealed to me for quite sometime. But do you ever feel like me, so rushed in life that when I find time to work out I feel it a necessity to sweat to death so it feels like I did something? So, for that reason I kept pushing yoga off. My two evils, time and my idea of a high  intensity level workout. Well, this summer I decided I wanted to slow down a little bit, try to relax, and to enjoy life. As a result of this I began participating in more yoga. I am finally starting to realize that yoga is much more then stretching, it is about strengthening your mind, body, and spirit making them one. There is something so empowering about positive thinking and yoga promotes exactly that.

 In the beginning of class today the teacher counseled us to think about a goal while we were in the class. He counseled to think about why we were there. He asked "Have you come to seek for peace and to let go of judgement or something else?" He recommended picking one thing. And I picked. I decided my thing would be seeking for courage. During the class I thought about what I want to accomplish in my life and how my fear was stopping me from progressing. During my inhales I told myself I could do anything I wanted. By the end of the class I walked out feeling like I could conquer the world. Now don't get me wrong. I do not assume that my fears and feelings of inadequacy will stay away forever. But taking the time to focus on my life and to think about what I want to work on in a state of peace and tranquility was amazing. I am just beginning to realize the importance of taking time out of our busy lives to help understand  ourselves and why we do the things we do. If we start to understand why we feel certain ways and what we do when we feel those ways we can help prevent bad days. Obviously, yoga is not the only way to do this, but it is fun and a great help to focus our minds. I am so thrilled for my next class! I will report back.